Among the many neurological conditions that we have on our planet earth, narcolepsy happens to be one of them. Narcolepsy is actually a chronic sleep disorder. What happens in narcolepsy is that during the day a person feels so drowsy. And then there are sudden attacks of sleep. When a person has narcolepsy it’s actually very difficult to stay awake for a very long time. And narcolepsy would always have an effect on the daily activities of the person. Well, this condition isn’t a good one and there are many treatment options. But today we’ll have a look at narcolepsy treatment natural. Natural treatments have always had strong effects so let’s have a look at those.
Statistically, narcolepsy affects 1 in every 2,000 people in the United States. And it’s actually been estimated that only 25% of people with this condition have been diagnosed and are receiving treatments. That’s because the signs and symptoms most times don’t seem like it’s a medical condition. A person with narcolepsy would most likely assume it’s due to stress from work or school. So they don’t usually seek medical attention. Narcolepsy is categorized into type 1 and type 2. Type 1 is narcolepsy with cataplexy. And type 2 is without cataplexy. Later we will take a look at different symptoms of narcolepsy and explain the symptoms better.
Causes and Risk Factors of Narcolepsy
With research and different studies, the exact cause of narcolepsy has not been identified. People that have narcolepsy type 1 have been identified to have low levels of hypocretin. And hypocretin is a chemical that’s important for the regulation of wakefulness and sleep cycle. This chemical is most especially low in people that have cataplexy.
The exact reason why hypocretin levels are low is unknown. Some suggest it could be as a result of an autoimmune reaction. But it has not been confirmed that it’s the cause. Some also say it’s a result of genetics. But the probability of a mother passing this condition to a child is very low. Just about a 1% chance.
Even though the exact cause of narcolepsy has not been identified there are risk factors that increase the chances of having this condition.
- Age: Narcolepsy has been identified to occur among people between the age of 10 to 30.
- Family history: It has also been identified that the risk of a person having narcolepsy rises by 20 to 40 times if someone in the family has narcolepsy.
- Histamine: Low levels of histamine in a person’s blood
- Brain: Brain injuries such as trauma and stroke
- Exposure to the virus: Previous exposure H1N1 virus
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, celiac disease, or lupus
Symptoms of Narcolepsy
- Cataplexy: This symptom is actually associated with a loss of muscle tone. And this leads to muscle weakness of also a loss of voluntary muscle control. Associated with this symptom are slurred speech and even body collapse. It actually depends on the part of the body that is affected. Most times it’s triggered by strong emotions such as anger, laughter, and even surprise.
- Excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS): This is a symptom you would find in everyone with narcolepsy. They feel sleepy or drowsy throughout the day. It normally interferes with normal day to day activities. There’s a lack of energy and even mental cloudiness. Most times they feel extreme exhaustion and even feel depressed.
- Sleep paralysis: This is when a person can’t move or talk either when falling asleep or when waking up. This is a temporary condition. It actually happens for a short period of time. It lasts for a few seconds to a few minutes. After this period of sleep paralysis, they would normally recover over time. And they would be able to speak and move after this period.
- Hallucinations: These episodes are usually frightening and vivid. The person gets delusional. The content is usually visual but other senses can also be involved. There are two types of hallucinations in a patient with narcolepsy. Hypnopompic hallucinations are associated with awakening. Hypnagogic hallucinations are associated with sleep onset.
Narcolepsy Natural Treatment
Here’s a list of things you can do naturally to improve narcolepsy.
Embrace the natural sleep cycle
When it comes to narcolepsy staying awake can be very difficult. Especially during the day. And even if you have something important to attend to like work or school it would be so difficult.
So one way you can feel more energized during the day is to take power naps. Take short naps when you have the time during that day. Once you wake up you would feel a lot better. If it’s a child that has this condition explain to the teachers. And let them make your child take short naps when there’s a break.
Exercise sure goes a long way in our bodies. It has been found that exercise also helps out with narcolepsy. Even if it’s a 20-minute exercise it would help out with relieving symptoms of brain fog, depression, and even drowsiness. You don’t have to do strenuous exercises. Simple routine exercises would do. And it’s also advised that you exercise with someone.
A study that was carried out found that many people with narcolepsy were vitamin D deficient. Vitamin D deficiency is also associated with pain and fatigue. So taking vitamin D supplements and vitamin D rich foods would help alleviate the symptoms of narcolepsy.
So eating healthily can also help improve the symptoms of narcolepsy. With a low-carbohydrate diet, the symptoms would most likely reduce. If you have food intolerances or allergies recognize them and avoid them at all costs. Also, avoid taking substances that can cause a rise or fall in the energy level. It would worsen the symptoms of narcolepsy.
Narcolepsy is a condition that lasts for a very long time. And it tends to affect your daily activities. So you have to join a support group. In a support group, you would be able to share the problems you’re facing. And at the same time, you can get tips as you how to make things better. At the same time, you would get encouraged from time to time not to give up. You can be sure that your symptoms would improve if you follow this list of narcolepsy treatment natural.